Friday, September 30, 2005

Reaching out to the Lepers of the world

HEY WORLD!
It's been quite the week. I've been exhausted for a lot of it, and busy.
I've been learning a lot lately in my classes. They are all SO deep. Just tonight I was working on this project for Pastoral Theology about a deceased preacher and their ministry. I chose St. Francis of Assisi. Wow. What a life. I watched this documentary on his life. Talk about somebody who went hardcore for what he believed in. He had it all at the beginning of his life. Yet he gave it all up to live a life of "simplicity". Although called such, it definitely was not a simple life. It seemed like an adventure. Day after day living among lepers, beggers, and the poor and broken of the world. What a ministry.
Something in particular hit me about this individual. He came near the lepers - those who are shadowed from society and ridden of any human contact. They have never even touched another human being for years upon years. Imagine what you'd do if a man, perfectly healthy, came up to you and hugged you and prayed with you. I'd go crazy! I would begin to wonder if it was an angel or something. That's what St. Francis did. He saw the brokenness of these people and reached out to them.
Yet St. Francis wasn't the first person to do such. Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ did the same thing, and he not only touched the lepers, he healed them. He brought them back to health. He did something that Saint Francis could not do.
This, I think is an important lesson for us all. We, like St. Francis, ought to go to the depths of this world and "touch" those who need love. We are to reach out in love, give up our pride, and love these people who are hurting. Also, we must recognize that it is not us who does the saving. It is by the work of God alone who saves and brings healing to others, not by us alone. He provides love and healing for those who need it and believe in Him.
This is just something that I was thinking about. Deep thoughts and such. So yeah, that's me for now. Have a great one.

josh dock

3 Comments:

Blogger afterthoughtcomposer said...

ooo comment spam. yay!
Anyways---yay! Joshy! You're updating your blog! I look forward to reading it,
Ashley

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JOSH JOSH JOSH YOU GOTTA CHECK THIS OUT!!! LOL!!!

Look what happens when you type in your URL incorrectly!! [click it - it's safe!!] HAHAHA!

http://joshdock.blogpsot.com/
-----------------
(Hmmm...I don't know how to HTML blogspot, so just copy & paste the URL into your browser...)
-----------------
How the heck did that site get a name like that?! But hey, mega Bible can't be a bad thing...

Peace bro!
- Andrew

12:05 PM  
Blogger jennspencer said...

josh you should consider updating this BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home