Friday, February 02, 2007

Back to the Old Stomping Grounds


The past is calling me....

Well, it's been almost two months since Krista and I were married, and its about time we return to the place where it all began - Caronport, Saskatchewan.

Yes, a rare find to see a 4-storey chapel on the prairies of Saskatchewan, but not altogether unfamiliar to those however many thousand (dare I say million) people who have attended Briercrest at some point in the last 60+ years.

My wife and I are only 2 people out of the tons who have gone there, and while that may seem small, I hardly realized it when I arrived there 4 and a half years ago (September 2002).
Crazy, it seems, how the world seems to revolve around that little town along the highway for so many people.

Anywho, Krista and I are heading out to the 'Port for a much needed visit. Why? Well, we have friends we know there who are attending Briercrest or do not have the strength to escape the clutches of this homely, yet individualistic town (Lifers?). A friend of mine refer to this mindset as "the suck". Not in any way bashing Caronport, but we've just noticed over the years how easy it is for people to get stuck there. I'm sure its like any little town whose population decreases by half when it is not the school year.

Kinda like you know you're in Caronport when...
-40 km per hour is speeding
-Your typical idea of a date is a sub at Subway and a DTR(Define The Relationship) in the Chapel. (ok, I'll admit it...been there... done that)
-Driving home anywhere past Moose Jaw is a really long trip
-The newspaper consists of caregroup ads and prayer requests (not a bad thing)
-The "rich" part of town are three bedroom bungalows
-You see a sign that says "Students Crossing: Need Sub and Need it NOW!" (ok, no sign says this, but I think they need one for all the students who walk from the chapel to the Point)
-During the month of September, every 20 feet there is a guy with an acoustic guitar singing worship songs to a girl showing off his "skills". (Praise and Pickup)
-Open Dorms is a community event
-You stereotype everyone according to their dorm (i.e.- "Fender guys are smelly" or "You don't act like a Sundbo girl..."

Anywho, I could go on forever (if you want to leave me some of your own thoughts in my comments, I'd love to have a laugh), but to be honest, it will be good to go back there. It was a great place for me to learn, love, and grow. I did just that. I can't knock a place like that. It was...home. It was the place I needed to be at that time. So, needless to say, it is a great place. I'm sure those of you who are reading this and have been there can agree with me. What will this weekend hold? Well, like any true Caronportian male or female will tell you...

...only God knows.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dalton said...

HAHA!!!! Junk message. I used to get those . . .

- You know you're in Caronport when your dream is to live in a trailer.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You pretty much summed up Caronport... but what about romantic walks down "Lover's Lane" or going for a walk on the gravel roads, just to "get away from it all"? Wish I would have been in C'port longer!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Ty said...

ah BridalQuest...how I miss you. Always so good to come back to hear stories of it's latest vict...i mean lovebirds.

I wonder if they ever made a pole of how many roommates end up both succumbing to BridalQuest. I know you and Brennan would make case #1. (clearly by that I mean marrying other girls...and not each other!) geez.

-Ty

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home