When the World Points Fingers
Why do people hate Christianity?
Simply put, but impossibly deep.
I was reading an article in a Christian magazine today about Marilyn Manson's sordid autobiography, The Long Hard Road out of Hell. The article was less than unbiased, yet it gave a bit of a picture into Manson's world....er, "hell".
I'll admit it, even as a youth pastor, Manson's life is somewhat intriguing, from a purely observation perspective. I guess because he somewhat defines or personifies for me the absolute limit to which a person can morally decrease and descend from what I can see. I guess I'd call him the "labrat"or "guinea pig" example of where I could possibly be in the depths of sin.
I've picked up the book a few times in Chapters and skimmed through the pages somewhat. While I am not a fan of his musical style or lyrics or lifestyle or beliefs or fashion sense, I have found, from observing what interviews I have seen or read, that he is no dummy. He is not a simple person. There is definitely a depth to his thinking, and a philosophical, psychological knowledge that is morbid yet interesting.
This man knows Christianity. He was(?) one (Let God be his Judge). He was raised in a Christian home, went to a Christian school, church, and learned the theology, dogma, verses, creeds and worship hymns and chorus we sing every sunday. Yet the events of his life were tragic...crazy, even. Tough stuff. I won't get into it, but I must say...what a mess.
And now, in his present state, he is pointing his finger (I don't have to tell you which one) at Christianity. How ought we to respond? I've seen some ways - anger, threats, outlashes, condemning, protests...etc. - but how do we respond as Christians?
Obviously from Romans 1, we know how God will respond.
But this has got me thinking. Why do people hate Christianity? Well, of course, I'm sure that sin plays a HUGE role in that answer. Yet socially, have you noticed that a majority the hatred towards Christianity results from how the world sees Christians and not Christ?
Why? In Church, one of the fundamental first foundations we lay for Christianity is that "we all have sinned". We are all, Christian and Non-Christian alike, sinners. Obviously some people got stuck on this one.
I will be the first person to admit that I mess up. I am a pastor, and I am a sinner of sinners. I deserve Hell. It is not by me that people should see Christianity, but by Christ (2 Peter 2:21).
This is an interesting paradox, because I also believe that we are to reflect the light of Christ to all people everywhere. I am to be an example in this world for unbelievers. Yikes. We're in deep trouble. What if I mess up, like I am still prone to do?
God's grace is still sufficient for me.
So, I press on. But I have to say to Marilyn Manson (if you are reading this), I'm sorry. I am a bad example. But look to Jesus. That's what I do.
Any questions?


1 Comments:
I think that some of the hatred is both justified and blind.
There are many who have been severly wronged by the Church in many ways. Stories about child abuse in the church are discovered regularly. Residential schools for natives robbed them of their identity and more abuse ocurred in these situations.
I was at the Bedlam conference with Brett Ullman and he gave a good analogy of what the church is. The Church has been this big fat blob with hands and a mouth, pointing and yelling at the world how horrible it is and not ever moving from its stationary position. Pretty good analogy if you ask me. The Church needs to be a part of the fabric of society, not in its own towers.
BUT, some of the hatred is blind. Many have never really been to church, but hear through the media how horrible it is, and it doesn't take that long to see how the media feels about the church. Its the brunt of many jokes heard in mainstream movies, television, music etc.
Finally, many despise it because they are blind to the actual disease of sin. What needs saving if there is no sin?
A few factors I came up with. I'm sure there are many more.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home